Saturday, October 10, 2015

Revised Brumberg Imitation

While Greenfield's work is littered with striking imagery and powerful themes, the one that appears to reflect girl culture the strongest is reflection itself: mirrors. It is not men or society or even misogyny as a whole that give the most scrutiny; they just create the guidelines. In the end, our biggest critic is ourselves. Throughout the work, images of women examining themselves with unease are numerous. Some try to mask insecurity through poses expressing sexuality, others outright show revulsion in disgust. Either way the result is the same, these women are concerned over their image. This in turn shows more about girl culture than many writings ever could. They display the obsession with aesthetics and to a deeper extent self-doubt. One day a woman can go to the mirror and dislike what she sees. Another, she may do it again think she is beautiful, but that only solidifies her own insecurity. It is the self-evaluation of ourselves that is the true spur of doubt, regardless of what that evaluation may be. We try and try to examine ourselves as others would, but it becomes apparent that, no matter what we think of ourselves, that is not necessarily what others believe. This reflection is little but self-torture to many, as it changes nothing of society.


I felt the biggest difference between my paragraph and Brumberg's was clarity. In many ways, what we were saying was exactly the same. This was due to my use of SOAPSTone in analysis which I illustrated within the paragraph. The glaring fault was, though I held the same purpose, mine was less easily defined. Similar to much of my other works, I fell prey to wordiness and over-complication of  sentence structure, which muddled the insight I was attempting to give. Brumberg was elegant in her writing, something I failed to imitate. This led me to cut down the overall word count and simplify some otherwise windy paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment